23.12.06

Expected age at death: 24... I've seen a website or three boasting various tests, including "your date of death will be..." examinations, & I've always marvelled at those who have taken them & are expected dead at 21, 22, 24, or 28. I always figured they were answering the questions facetiously, selecting the bubble that would most likely draw a "you should be dead, now" response. Alas, I have encountered something, not on the 'net/internets/ebay, that shows that death at 24, from alcohol poisoning, does happen.

In brief: I recognized the name coming across my desk -- for confidentiality reasons, I will not provide it -- from a few times out two years ago as a canvasser for the Kerry/Edwards campaign. I also recalled the individual not being in when I returned to her address of record, & the mother of individual not knowing to where her daugther had gotten, but assuring me that she would be voting as a Wisconsin resident & for John Kerry. (Fair enough, I thought.)

Now, I hadn't thought on this person for two-plus years, either. But, with the application that I had to send out, I knew for whom it was, right away. I almost decided, sight unseen, that it was for a deceased person. But, my mind doesn't drift to that assumption, just, for someone so young (two years my junior!).

This woman, 24, presumably politically aware & with all the accoutrements to lead a fulfilled life, was dead. Extreme intoxication from alcohol was the cause.

I have known a few like that, a few with whom a broken condom, tainted piercing or tattooing needle, or less forgiving professor(s), would have been S.O.L. & living a life not unlike those I see in my day-to-day work. (Point of fact, I've seen a few well-equipped people from my past in the position of my clientele, & all but one, much worse for the wear of a medium- to hard-life, since I knew them.) But, two days ago, there was the ultimate price for "doing what one wants, when one wants to, damn the consequences".

I only have to think, even if the consequence is death, at 24?

&, no, you won't always be as "lucky" as you've been. You aren't that special that you can take risks that will sometimes have (very) negative outcomes without ever facing such an outcome. Your choices will catch up to you, just as they have for my erstwhile likely-voter for John Kerry.

Postscript: I'm not saying it's a situation of "reaping as sown", I don't wish a child's death on any living parent, but life is not all seashells & balloons when so near the precipice. It's more, don't get too dizzy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home